The Seven Hills Neighborhood Houses Center
Since 1961, Seven Hills Neighborhood Houses (Neighborhood House) has been serving Cincinnati’s West End Community as a social services resource and community gathering space. The Neighborhood House is located at 901 Findlay Street in an 18,000 square foot building. It is the safe-haven and second home for approximately 2,500 – 3,000 at-risk children, teens, families, seniors, and disadvantaged citizens annually.
The West End is one of Cincinnati’s most socio-economically challenged neighborhoods by being:
- Among the lowest life expectancies of Cincinnati’s neighborhoods (69.8, which is ≤18 years than others
- The 4th highest infant mortality rate (IMR) in a city with one of the nation’s highest averages with 19.2 deaths out of 1,000 births
- The 4th lowest average income at $12,274), which is almost 25% below the poverty line
- Three of Cincinnati’s bottom ten socio-economic census tracts.
- 33% of residents lack a high school diploma in a community of 6,627 (Census 2010).
- Nearly 88% of the West End’s population are African American; 70% are single mother homes, compared to a 27.5% Cincinnati average; 9% are female
As partners in the communities we serve, we are dedicated to improving the quality of life of our neighbors.
To create health and prosperity for all our neighbors.
These values are at the heart of who we are and what we believe in.
- Compassion and Excellence
- Compassion is crucial to successful human interaction. We will empower our constituents and ourselves to go beyond “good enough” towards excellence, by offering education, training and personal and community development opportunities.
- Love and Respect
- Love and respect are fundamental human needs. We care deeply about those whom we serve and empower. We choose to treat others and ourselves with dignity so that together, we create a safe and nurturing community.
- Personal Integrity and Organizational Integrity
- Integrity is the basis of trust. We keep our promises to ourselves and each other, so our constituents, supports, and funders can trust what we say and know we will honor our commitments. We hold ourselves accountable through our transparent planning, objective monitoring and evaluation of programming, and open, honest communication.
- Rich History and Innovation
- Our organization values continual learning. We aspire to use what we learn, to plan and to implement innovative ways that serve and empower our constituents while simultaneously honoring individuals, our organization and our community’s rich histories and traditions.
- Lead and Partner
- We provide leadership in the West End and beyond. We seek empirical evidence and the expertise and advice of others, where appropriate. When possible, we work diligently to partner with other organizations and to give voice to individuals who struggle to share their voices.